Celebrating 100 Years of Extension!
Join us on April 17 as we celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Florida Extension!
The Cooperative Extension System was established by the Smith-Lever Act of 1914, and allows us all to benefit from the research and education of each state’s land-grant universities. In Florida, Extension has helped millions by tapping the latest information from the research engines of the University of Florida and Florida A&M University and converting it into practical knowledge we use every day.
On April 17, we’ll celebrate 100 years of Extension on UF’s Plaza of the Americas with guest speakers, food fresh from Florida, activities and displays showing today’s Extension programs and information about how you can find a career helping people find solutions for the next 100 years.
DATE: April 17, 2014
TIME: 11 am – 2 pm
LOCATION: UF Plaza of the Americas, Gainesville FL
11:00 am--Exhibits Open
12 noon--Lunch & Cake
Visit the following links to get more information on the Smith-Lever Act and Extension:
- Land Grant & Sea Grant: The Smith-Lever Act
- Land Grant & Sea Grant: Acts, History & Institutions
- Land Grant, Sea Grant & Extension Timeline
- 100 Years of Extension Video
- Smith-Lever Anniversary Blog
Visit the following links for more Extension resources:
- About UF/IFAS Extension
- UF Smathers Library: Florida Agriculture and Rural Life Collection
- Florida Memory: Extension
- History of 4-H in Florida
- Pinterest: 100 Years of Extension
- February 6-17– Centennial Anniversary Display at the Florida State Fair Ag Hall of Fame, Tampa.
- April 17, 2014—Centennial Anniversary. Plaza of the Americas, UF Campus, Gainesville.
- May 8, 2014—Centennial Anniversary Event (TBD).
- August 29 2014 EPAF Dean’s Administration Luncheon, Wyndam Bay Point Resort, Panama City Beach
- October 14-16 Sunbelt Ag Expo, Moultrie GA
If you have information about an Extension Centennial event happening in your county, please contact Darryl Palmer at IFAS Communication Services (email@example.com; ph. 352-392-3317)
- March 3-5, 2014 – Council for Agricultural Research, Extension and Teaching (CARET) Annual Meeting, Washington D.C. (In addition to a session about the Centennial, a reception on Capitol Hill is tentatively scheduled for early evening, Wednesday, March 5, 2014.)
- April 6-9, 2014 – Public Issues Leadership Development (PILD) Conference, Alexandria, VA.
- May 5-8 – Convocation & National Awareness Events, Washington D.C. – The primary day of celebration will be on Thursday, May 8, 2014 with wrap-around events during the week.
Download the Smith-Lever Anniversary Toolkit (For Extension Personnel)